I am not one to personally drink cows milk. It's not that I am lactose intolerant or anything, I personally don't care for the taste unless its TRULY Fresh!! Right out of the utter fresh.
So with that came alternatives, there was Soy milk it was okay. Then I tried Almond milk and WOW! It was great. However there was something missing or should I say a little to much added?
It just didn't taste natural to me but was still good! So I looked at the ingredient list. Holy Sodium Bat Man!!! not to mention some controversial flavorings ( shouldn't all the flavor come FROM the almonds themselves?!?!) Which is where I think I was picking up that odd flavor up that I couldn't put my finger on. So on to more research, and come to find out its SIMPLE to make your own!!! who knew ( Thank you Pinterest!)
- 1 C. Raw Almonds
- 1 Tbsp organic Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 3 C. Water
2. The next day, strain and rinse your almonds ( no need to skin the almonds. Some do recommend it but I have done it both ways and find more flavor with leaving skins on!) Next place in a blender with 3 C. filtered water. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely combined.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse 4-5 times until will incorporated.
4. Run through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth and into a jug with a tight fitting lid.
Store in the fridge, and consume within 3-4 days.
Don't forget to save that pulp!!! Make sure to dry it out. I like to pop mine in the oven for a quick toast. Then store in an airtight container. Add to yogurt, granola, oatmeal, salads ect. The possibilities are endless. I like to use it as a coating on baked chicken! YUMO or grind it down to Almond flour!
So not only do you get almond milk you get the pulp as well so its like a buy one get one free ( plus its cheaper to make then buy ;) )